Wednesday, May 04, 2005

My Ordinary Life

I watched Jon Stewart’s interview with Christian Amanpour last night. She talked about her experiences in Iraq and Afghanistan and said that she is off to Syria next. What an extraordinary life!

I work in a downtown office, where nothing happens. I go home on a train like most of you. I rent an apartment like most of you. Perhaps in a couple of years I will buy an apartment and finally have a family like most families here in our town.

I was born like most people and I will die like most people. But I have a choice not to live like most people.

What good is my life if all I accomplished was eating, sleeping and reproducing, like I was never even here?

I always loved “Judging Amy”. Great story with great characters. I may never be as far from ordinary as she is, but she always touched something inside my heart like no one else. Last night the season finale was on. She ran for the senate. “I was a juvenile court judge for 6 years. I tried to give the children the best possible opportunities but as long as there is no budget for their rehabilitation, no one can make a difference”. It’s time that someone with ideals, experience and vision entered the decision making arena, she meant. A politician with commitment, vision and mission is what I call extraordinary.

How many of us have the guts to come out of our shells and confess to our ideals? How many of us have the courage to make a commitment and assume responsibilities? How many of us are willing to risk our comfort to be extraordinary?

I will die the day my ideals die. I will lose faith the day I betray my commitment and I will vanish the day I become ordinary.

“I have a dream” said Martin Luther King. I was born alone and I will die alone but I would like to believe that I am not alone in this dream.

15 Comments:

At 12:01 p.m., Blogger Peyman said...

Can I ask a question? How do you feel about Christian Amanpor? Isn't she stupid destroying her life? At least after some years, she's had the fame to have a brilliant office with many journalists under her control. Isn't it an eagernous for fame that forces her to continue with that torture?

 
At 12:04 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post today reminded me of this conversation from the opening scene in the animation movie Antz (1998):

[Z, a worker ant, talking to the Psychologist:] I was not cut out to be a worker, I'll tell you right now. I feel physically inadequate. I,I... My whole life, I've never... I've NEVER been able to lift more than ten times my body weight. Handling dirt is not my idea of a rewarding career. The whole system makes me feel... insignificant.

[Psychologist:] Excellent! You've made a real breakthrough.

[Z: ] I have?

[Psychologist:] Yes, Z. You ARE insignificant.

[Z:] Okay, I've gotta give myself a positive attitude. A good attitude even though I'm utterly insignificant. I'm, I'm insignificant... but with attitude.

 
At 1:57 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Peyman:
Never mistake passion for stupidity!

If she loves working in the field and sees herself more effective that way, then that's the way to go. I don't think it's fame. She could still be famous if she owned an office and bossed people around. She has a fire inside her heart that wakes her up every morning and take her places that most of us are scared to go.

This is exactly what I meant. I work in an office like another 2 million people in downtown Toronto.

Will I ever have the guts to give up my comfort and choose to fight an actual battle? (i.e. follow my dream, passion and ideals?)

The day I choose comfort over passion (or dream) will be the day that I consider myself insignificant.

 
At 4:23 p.m., Blogger Peyman said...

So here we go, your type of arguement is what a Perfect F deos. You also get extremely stimulated by intuitive concepts like love. I am kind of sure you have a NF character. Perfect for an NT.
I guess you are Extraverted rather than Intraverted more. But I am not sure. If you have difficulty to start a conversation, feel worried about your words in a bunch of people, read your emails two times to make sure every word is perfect then you might be Intraverted but I don't think so.
Up to now, you are INF. The last letter is still not clear for me.

Can I have a Question: Suppose a housband betrays her wife. What should be the first reaction of the wife? Is there any room for forgiving? Does situations that it has happened matter?

Question 2: Is it useful to believe in love at first sight or harmful?

 
At 4:48 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! It's turning into a real psychotherapy session here. What's difficult is to find out who is the patient and who is the therapist but wi'll find out soon.

OK guys, keep analysing eachother...

:)

 
At 8:23 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Well, I admit that I am an idealist. I like that.

But what does all this have anything to do with those questions you ask?

Weird!

 
At 8:20 a.m., Blogger Peyman said...

Don't answer if you don't like, I thought that you are interested in the subject. Your attitude in response can determine either you are a J person or P.

 
At 8:32 a.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

I think you are taking your knowledge of psychology a little too seriously, man!

YOU are an Engineer! Give it up! Stop analyzing others! Go solve some equation or something!

 
At 9:07 a.m., Blogger Peyman said...

got it

 
At 9:22 a.m., Blogger Peyman said...

BTW, don't worry this is a temporary hobby and no equation will remain unsolved. I just thought you are interested! Sorry if I trapped you by the first question.

 
At 9:25 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, there is an old saying which says "if you're under 30 and you're not an idealist, you don't have a heart, and if you're over 30 and you're not a realist, you don't have a brain".

There is no limit to what a man (or woman) can achieve in his life. My personal favourite is Teddy Roosevelt . Dr. King whom you mentioned is another good example. On the other hand, there is no limmit to how dull a person's life can get either. So, everything is cool :) Enjoy your your youthfull energy and idealism.

Cheers

 
At 9:42 a.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Peyman :)
blogging is all in the name of good fun. No offense taken.

 
At 10:13 a.m., Blogger Farid said...

hmmmm

 
At 11:02 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the 'cheers' bit of your comments chaps!

Fancy a drink? A pint of Guiness perhaps?

 
At 7:25 p.m., Blogger Azad said...

Interesting conversation. I second farid, hmmmmmmmm. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home