Friday, June 03, 2005

What would make us happy?

Recently a friend was telling me he got his girlfriend a bucket of flowers to make her happy. She had told him she hated that kind of flowers. He was confused, asking me why it was so hard to make girls happy.

A while ago, a friend asked me a tough question: “Would you be happy, if someone buys you a second hand piano in good condition, or you would rather get nothing if you cannot get a new one? Would you love that person more?” My answer did not surprise her.

I remember a friend telling me she had tried doing everything she could to make a guy happy with no success. The guy told her he needed more. They broke up. They are both still alone.

I was wondering if we were all becoming cynical, selfish, self centered and perfectionist adults that nothing could satisfy them, or maybe it was becoming less and less likely that someone would push our right button. This thought was bothering me considering how long it had been since I had been truly moved by someone.

This was until I received an electronic invitation. I was invited to share a very precious thing with a very special friend: A weblog. I swear my heart was beating very hard the day I received the invitation. And I could not stop smiling. For me, this was not comparable to any flowers, or even a brand new piano. This was priceless. Bahar, I know what the invitation meant to you. I believe sharing ideas with your peers is the best way to grow and I truly respect your smart and thoughtful invitation.

You not only made me happy, but also gave me back hope. The hope that there are still things to come that can deeply move me. Now I know there is no need for me to settle for less than what I want and fake happiness. And I have to thank you for that.

4 Comments:

At 3:06 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

honey, you are most welcome.

There are bonds that won't break with time and there are friendships that are worth saving for ever.

 
At 4:36 p.m., Blogger Jackal said...

Very nice... though it kinda sounded like a Kerry Bradshaw/Hossein Derakhshan thing... don't you think so?!

 
At 8:11 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

don't you ever ever compare my weblog or anay thing of that sort to Hossein Derakhshan!

 
At 7:05 a.m., Blogger Jackal said...

OK, I re-phrase my comment on the last post to:

... though it kinda sounded like 95% Kerry Bradshaw and 05% Hossein Derakhshan ...

I had no idea you despised him, sorry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home