Thursday, August 25, 2005

Potato Problem!

I think about it everyday. I can’t get over it.

I ask people what they do.

- Advertising
- Interesting! What else do you do? What is your passion?
- I am not sure what you mean!
- Well, I like writing. I love following the news, thinking about current events and I like being active in the society. I think there is a lot I can do.
- Ok…that’s great. I have a house. I like renovating. That’s something else I do.
- I see. What about arts? Do you play music, maybe?
- Not really. But I like going to the gym.

So, you tell me. How are you different from a potato plant? You eat, you grow, you reproduce and then you die.

I have great respect for teachers, professors, social workers, journalists, nurses, some (only some) lawyers, some doctors, some politicians and others whose jobs deal with carrying the weight of the society. Most of these people end up dedicating some of their time to helping others without any pay.

I would like to believe that I make a difference by protecting the health of the environment and safety of the public. But still, I know that my share of chores in making this world a better place is bigger than that.

Maybe it’s just me. But I can’t help but hear the person in my head whispering “Potato!” every time I meet a new person whose passion in life includes going to the gym, buying a big TV, a bigger house or a nicer car.

Does anyone think that they should care about others? Others who can’t run their lives on their own? Is anyone interested in making our world, our country or at least our city a better, nicer and kinder place?

3 Comments:

At 3:39 a.m., Blogger . said...

I always think about it too.
and I hope and try to make around us a better place.but sometimes It 's not an easy thing beacause of some pepale that always send bad energy (!) to others.

 
At 4:13 p.m., Blogger dokhtare aftab said...

you can be sure there are people who care and who really see themselves as part of the society; and of course there are potatos!

 
At 5:39 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice to hear someone hating this after all: potatoship
there's got to be more to life - even more than serving the others (na..especially more than that!)
but i sometimes (often) think to myself, do i have the right to make the world as I want it to be (that is, my perception of a better place)? dunno. but at least im sure i want to give good energy to the author and commentors above!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home