Saturday, November 26, 2005

Me 'n the City

We went to Reservoir Lounge last week when Mona was here. I love that place. Combination of Jazz, chocolate martinis and the nicely dressed crowd puts me in the mood.

I want to talk about New York. The name speaks for itself: a symbol of modern human civilization. A tall symbol of eliticism, rather. Downtown life, midnight life, Wall Street, the art galleries, Hilary and Bill Clinton.

Is San Francisco really a large version of Toronto as they say? Or is Toronto a small version of New York? I love my downtown bachelor apartment, the Jazz lounges, big malls, tall commercial buildings, 24hr libraries, waterfront and Bay Street.

I visited London and Paris last year. “Electrical” is the only way I can describe our relationship: me ‘n the city, the metropolitan.

And it’s not just me.

Many of you must have read Richard Florida’s “The Rise of the Creative Class”. You know, the Gay Index and The Bohemian Index.

That’s what I want to talk about. The generation of 20, 30 and 40 year olds (mostly single) who live downtown, work downtown and keep the city alive after midnight. The generation that never learned to save, but rather preferred to spend, mostly on art, books and worldliness.

I am sure it’s not just the good “Organic Cafe"s. It’s not the Cosmopolitan martini, the modern art or even the liberal political culture.

But it’s electrical, our relationship, me and the City.

2 Comments:

At 1:08 p.m., Blogger Jackal said...

I really admire your passion for your rather newly adopted city of abode. Is Toronto as grey and gloomy as London is half of the year?

 
At 3:42 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Toronto is never grey but always windy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home