Friday, December 23, 2005

Motherhood


As it turns out, some of us start thinking about motherhood as soon as we hit the 26, 27-yr mark! As much as it is a wonderful experience, it requires planning.

There are several reasons why many people prefer to have kids later in life. So, I asked my parents for their thoughts on those reasons:

- you may be still in school (masters. PhD, etc)
- you feel too young to settle down with a partner
- you still like to party hard with your single friends
- you still prefer to spend all your money on make-up, shoes and clothes
- you may not have financial stability or career prospects
- you are afraid that you cannot raise a child
- you feel that you haven't traveled enough around the world
- you are worried to miss out on climbing the Everest or swimming across the ocean or perhaps learning another language

So, basically other than those above, my parents think motherhood is a wonderful experience. Therefore, I am setting my priorities straight:

- finishing school
- moving up the career path one step
- learning French
- taking guitar lessons again(!)
- visiting, Italy and Greece, Cuba or New Zealand
- buying a condo

Great list, eh?

7 Comments:

At 2:59 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

due to some unexpected confusion, i once left an inappropriate comment on your blog. ashamed and regretful, i want you to accept my apology. please forgive me, PLEASE!

 
At 3:48 p.m., Blogger Sooski said...

loved the travelling section on the list!
you must see Cuba before US gets its hand to it. Otherwise, it'll be another Mexico. So make sure you visit Cuba 1st.

 
At 5:02 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

To Mr. Anon,
It is not in my hand anymore. An e-forensic lawyer looks at all my messages.

 
At 2:06 a.m., Blogger Gerrit Bosman said...

Hi Sky, A Happy Lovely New Year to you. You should try to make a list of things you want to do with your kids when you have them. I found out that it can be a real eye opener. I want to build a boat with my son, I want to visit New York with my daughter, I want to teach them how to sail and manage a boat. There are so many things I want to do with them, life is to short.

 
At 1:35 p.m., Blogger Suchness of The Moment said...

mmm I don’t think there’s ever a perfect time for anything in life. I guess one should just do a reasonable assessment and do what it feels right, otherwise there’s always something to do and one extra step to take.

 
At 5:55 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Hi Gerrit,

Happy New Year to you and your family as well.

Thanks for the inspring note.

I always thought that I would let my kids enjoy what I enjoyed: taking dance and music lessons, figure skating, soccer, maybe hockey, different languages, etc.

I would love to be able to talk to them in French, go skating together and travelling around the world, jut like I enjoyed them when I was younger.

Although, there is no guarantee that my kid likes what I did!!!

Mitil, you are right. I guess you try your best and the rest just take it as it happens, eh?

 
At 6:52 a.m., Blogger Jackal said...

Greetings and best wishes from Lisboa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home