Thursday, January 19, 2006

Regrets...

Regrets...I have had a few....
but then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
and saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course,
each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way...(Frank Sinatra, written by Paul Anka)

I learned to sing this song when I was 11 years old. That was when I stopped letting my mom correct my essays and my dad solving my geometry homework! I wanted to do it my way. To this day, if you ask my dad, he will tell you that I have all done it my way!

I chose my school, my educational path, my career, where to live, who to date, etc. I have certainly done it my way!

But what I didn't notice back then, was the phrase: "Regrets, I have had a few...".

I suppose, ideally, you want to be able to say " but then again, too few to mention..." when you are almost at the end. Would you?

Anka goes on to say "I planned each charted course, each careful step, along the byway...". Have you? Have you planned each careful step?

Does this mean that we should be more careful in planning our destiny? Every step? Does this mean if we don't, we will have to live with some regrets?

How do I know which one will be my biggest regret? Not having travelled more? Not having children? Not becoming a musician? Not making more money? Or something as small as not having read a particular book or seen a particular movie?

6 Comments:

At 6:18 p.m., Blogger Sooski said...

about careful steps... I'd like to follow my gut-feelings and that doesn't mean careful! it just means "my way", and so far in the past 32 years, it's been very very good! :)

 
At 12:46 a.m., Blogger Suchness of The Moment said...

I guess each individual is the only person who can answer those question about his/her own life...

 
At 8:00 a.m., Blogger Gerrit Bosman said...

My own regrets are always about the people I have met. They have all to do with sharing things with others, failing to tell them (enough) that you love them.
I tend to tell people easier how I feel about them.
Regrets, a few, yes a few, but very painfull and not repairable because the friends I failed are all gone.

 
At 1:26 p.m., Blogger Jackal said...

This is not an answer to your post for quite simply I ain’t got no answer for it. Regrets, you might have had a few, flaws could have crept into your carefully charted actions but what’s the anguish for? How would you want to know which one’s going to be your biggest regret? Was it that big turn in life when you chose your career, or was it when you picked your partner? or could it be that very insignificant matter that you may not recall now. You’ve seen Citizen Kane with all his money and success was yearning for that rose bud from his childhood.

Is it much of a consolation that you did everything your own way, if you let the regret take over you and consume your power and will, or when you are almost at the end?

Allow me to remind ourselves of the day you wrote about how with a cry of joy you came in to here and indeed happy you want to be when you depart, and how fortunate you are because you are able to love and be loved.
I can’t share the answer to this for I’ve got none for my own, but one thing I know is that you can’t be too careful all the time. Regrets, you might have had a few, flaws could have crept into your carefully charted actions but what’s the anguish for?

 
At 12:05 p.m., Blogger Jackal said...

how was your weekend break?! [;)]

 
At 8:31 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Weekend break was great. We stayed at the most historic and expensive hotel in the Capitol.

It was white and dreamy and we enjoyed spending time together.

We also watched Walk the Line and we loved it.

Downside, I came down with cold agaign and my chest is congested very badly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home