Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Research in Sleep!

All my close friends and family know about my love and devotion to sleep! I love sleep!

A few lucky research scientists (from Leili's town!) that have nothing else to do, have recently discovered:

Sleep inertia, that groggy, disoriented feeling that that comes with waking up, can last a few minutes or in some cases, up to two hours. Many people are as mentally impaired when they wake up as if they were drunk!

I could have done this in my sleep years ago! This certainly is not the discovery of 2006!

Things that I hear or see during the first hour after I wake up, are stored in my memory as "last night's dream!". For example, my mom calls me, wakes me up, tells me all about 'who did what' in the family, and I won't even remember anything the next day!

3 years ago, I took a cab home late at night, and I fell sleep. When we got to my street, the driver woke my up and asked for $35. I gave him $40 and asked for $15 back! (not very smart!)

When I visit my dentist, he knows that I fall sleep as soon as I lie down. He wakes me up when it is over! The downside is that if my boss keeps talking more than 5 min, I fall sleep (energy saving mode!) while standing before him.

All that mentioned, I have to admit that I finished my undergraduate program at U of Toronto while I was sleep! Seriously!

3 Comments:

At 7:48 a.m., Blogger Jackal said...

Just thought you might like the article...

http://hotzone.yahoo.com/b/hotzone/20060112/hz_iran_0106/blogs2208

 
At 12:31 p.m., Blogger LT said...

I feel awful! You know, I am a wake-up and get-up instantly kind of person. So, I usually nag if someone would take time to get out of bed specially when I am in a hurry. And you are telling me they may be mentally impaired when they wake up?!! I should try to be nicer then!

 
At 3:23 p.m., Blogger Gerrit Bosman said...

Tried to read the whole story, but fell asleep halfway. ((-:

 

Post a Comment

<< Home