Friday, January 13, 2006

Tonight's Wedding Celebration!

Two of my good friends, people who are amongst the best in the world, are celebrating their marriage tonight.

Mehrdad and Kathy got engaged 6 months ago and bought a nice house last month. Tonight they have invited only their close friends to dinner at a nice lounge to celebrate their union.

This is my kind of wedding. No mess, no fuss, no crowd! Of course my mom thinks I am nuts, but seriously, why would I want to have an expensive big wedding to invite people whose last name I don't even know!

You know what I am talking about: renting the big hall, the expensive caterer, hiring the photographer and the florist, organizing seats for 300 people, the cake, the invitations, etc... (i.e usually costs $40,000 in Canada)

That doesn't sound very fun to me, as a bride! It sounds complicated, stressful, tiring and expensive!

What I think is fun, is a small wedding (only close family and friends) of maybe 50 people, in a nice garden out of town, very intimate, with great music, dinner and Champaign, exchanging vows (no church, no molla, no nothing of that sort!)

Anyhow, I am very excited to see Mehrdad and Kathy tonight.

6 Comments:

At 2:19 p.m., Blogger Jackal said...

i couldn't agree more [:D]

by the way, have a look at my orkut photo album... (why don't you update your orkut album, it's still filled with your irish connection, dodgy!)

 
At 2:22 p.m., Blogger Jackal said...

fortunately not every one thinks like you and people still do splash out on their weddings, otherwise the chances of getting invited to nice weddings in the english countryside twice a year would become very remote!!!

 
At 4:06 p.m., Blogger Sooski said...

you said it well! specially the church and mullah part of it! marriage shouldn't be tied to any religion imho!

 
At 11:30 p.m., Blogger Suchness of The Moment said...

Bahar jan I know exactly what you are talking about. 3 of my colleagues are getting married and all they seem to have is stress about arranging the wedding rather than anything else! Shouldn't it after all be about the marriage rather than the wedding?!

 
At 1:09 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I Know how you think about this huge weddings I didnt like it either but getting marrid in Iran makes you no choise! I had the stress..so many money that was spended and every thing you said(except the molla!) but you know what? it's been 4 years since then and now I always look at my wedding pictures there is a photo of all the family ...tehy all look so pretty and so happy and many of them(including my granm parents) are not with us any more... I feel good about all that stress and bad things now ..cuz I think I maid them happy and get together for may be the last time and you know this is family this is tradition this is who we are and I will proudly show this photo to my child one day and tell her/him you see this nice pretty little woman? this is how happy my grandmo was on my wedding day .... have so many bad things and so many nice and memoriable things ...I think you just have to choose what is important to you

 
At 3:05 p.m., Blogger LT said...

I agree with Bahar. But I also see Nioofar's point. In Iran, the priority is to make your family happy, on the other hand, here the most important thing is to make yourself happy, and your family should just try be happy for you!
This of course is mainly based on the economical structure of the society: In Iran, older people have the money and it is hard for young people to start their lives without their help, but in a more healthy economy, like here, the society helps young people to start their lives without their families' help. So the truth is in each society, the people in power make the rules:in Iran older people make the rules and of course tradition and community's approval comes first! But here younger people make the rules, so they put creativity, passion and adventure first.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home