Friday, February 10, 2006

Cartoons

This afternoon, when I got back from my lunch-time lecture, I thought "it's ass-kicking" Friday! So, I started browsing the daily papers.

But instead, I found something very pleasant on the whole cartoon fiasco. In today's Globe and Mail, Rick Salutin wrote:

This is a reaction to a long, even centuries-long experience of being the object of someone else's caricatures with no effective way to reply. Cartoons of Arab "oil sheiks" began to proliferate after the 1973 Mideast war: hook-nosed, leering, lascivious and greedy.

Note that this cartooning (in the broad sense) was always done to "them" by others like "us," the West etc.Why the change now, and the protest? For the first time, the "Muslim world" isn't just out there and the other. They're here, they're us. So they, too, can protest. It's stressful, but it's democratic.

I liked Mr. Salutin's soft and friendly tone, but I still think most people haven't quite understood "the point".

After 14 centuries, muslims are not so united when it comes to Imam Ali, Imam Hossein, the traditions, prayers, etc. Some are extremists and some don't even practice. However, when it comes to Prophet Mohammad, hands down, they are all united.

Prophet Mohammad is the face of this religion, the only sacred name and essence of holiness, goodness and faith. And that is "the point"

You don't make fun of the one and only thing that makes the hearts of millions of people around the world beat. That should have been well understood, especially for a journalist.

I am a non-practicing muslim, but I know in my heart that I should respect the feelings of millions and millions, who worship God, love their prophet and believe in morality.

I am not sure whether it is called integrity or honor that makes us understand why the essence and sanctity of (millions of) people's faith is not up for insult or humor.

4 Comments:

At 3:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two words: Piss Christ

Did you speak out then?

 
At 7:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

bligh me, quite a shake up, ey? hardly recognisable was it not for your photo at the top [:D]

looks good, generally i mean, 'the daily word' sounds a bit naff though, sorry [;)]

it's kinda weird when i look at your picture, it feels as though i'm seeing a total stranger, yet you're not!

 
At 2:46 a.m., Blogger Winston said...

first time visiting your blog!

Good Luck

 
At 11:02 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Hi Anon (who mentioned Piss Christ):

I had never heard of the Piss Christ controversy. But I promise you if I had, I would have protested against it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home