Friday, February 03, 2006

Fear!

I have never tried to be the most courageous woman on earth.

I would like to think “ethics” was on my mind, if I never cheated in high school or university, talked behind people’s back or called anyone names. (Should I have?)

However, the fact that I said no to municipal nominations was because I was afraid. Not only I thought I wasn’t strong enough to pull through, but also I was afraid of being bullied by the familiar thugs in my community. The bottom line is that I was afraid.

Reading Jason Cherniak’s weblog reminded me of some one my fears. The world of politics is dominated by men. It’s essentially a big boy’s club!

Fortunate or unfortunate, that’s why many women are afraid of stepping into politics. Not that being afraid is something to be proud of, but because the competent ones, are too good to enter such battle.

Maybe one day I admit to my daughter that I made a mistake by not being bold enough.

Tonight Michael Ignatieff (new MP from Harvard) and Lloyd Axwrothy have a debate on “peace building”, organized by Professor Thomas Homer-Dixon. I have once met Professor Homer-Dixon, but I am very anxious to hear Ignatieff speak. Who knows, he may have what it takes to become the next Liberal leader, as some claim!

If you want to know Lloyd Axworthy and Michael Ignatieff, check this out!

4 Comments:

At 11:45 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sky, this really is Richard Diamond and just for the record Jason Cherniak is a good friend of mine and I did NOT post the tasteless comment on his blog. That was someone pretending to be me!!!!!!

 
At 9:21 a.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Hi Richard,

I believe you. Thanks for the comment.

I apologize for my remarks. You certainly didn't deserve that. I will erase those.

 
At 9:41 a.m., Blogger LT said...

I think fear is always there, for everything that we decide to do. What help us overcome that fear is wanting something very bad. And unfortunately the better that thing is, the more fear we feel. So, if the you want something big, you should want it bad, so much that you are ready to welcome any challenge and face any fear.

Maybe you was not sure what you wanted then. Or, you did not want it very much. And looks like that has changed. So, if another opportunity comes around, you will act differently, simply because you know what you want despite what everyone thinks.

 
At 3:21 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Goftam Leili kojast, ha!

I have been going through a tough time, when it comes to politics. Lots of mixed feelings.

But something that has kept my fire going, is writing.

When are you coming to Toronto again? ;) Why don't you come at the same time as Golnaz (late April)? I think I can fit you two in my tiny apartment!

I am planning on renting a car and taking her to Niagara falls. Book your ticket today ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home