Monday, February 06, 2006

Leonard Cohen

The Canadian poet, singer and musician, who dominated many women's deepest inner thoughts, feelings and imagination, during the 1960s, 70s, 80s and 90s, was inducted into the hall of fame, yesterday.

Emotional Leonard Cohen wiped the tears from his eye after being honoured during the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame gala in Toronto on Sunday.

His "Suzanne" created a mysterious character of a lover in the minds of the world and his "I am your man" melted the hearts of millions of women throughout the decades.

"Dance me to the end of love" became a theme song for many weddings and his lyrics on "Democracy" and American culture painted a new face for this elite Canadian.

It's coming through a hole in the air,
from those nights in Tiananmen Square.
It's coming from the feel that this ain't exactly real,
or it's real, but it ain't exactly there.
From the wars against disorder,
from the sirens night and day,
from the fires of the homeless,
from the ashes of the gay:
Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.

It's coming to America first,
the cradle of the best and of the worst.
It's here they got the range
and the machinery for change
and it's here they got the spiritual thirst.
It's here the family's broken
and it's here the lonely say
that the heart has got to open in a fundamental way:
Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.

5 Comments:

At 11:03 a.m., Blogger Jackal said...

Bahar jan, I think you have a typo in this post; the song name, from the album with the same title is "I'm Your Man"!

P.S. I didn't know - not even suspect - that you liked him/his songs ;)

 
At 12:58 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Thanks.

That was a funny typo, eh?

 
At 12:59 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

That song, especially, along with "Take this waltz" and "To the end of love" just killllllll me!

 
At 4:22 p.m., Blogger Jackal said...

Oh my word!

I never knew you were so sentimental (well I guess that's my failure!)

 
At 4:34 p.m., Blogger Jackal said...

just to mention that I'm listening to your favourites now [;)]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home