Tuesday, February 07, 2006

School, etc

I am not sure what happened, and when it happened, but somewhere along the road, someone told us that our worth is measured by how many university degrees we carry!

All kidding aside, our parents went to university and made it their one mission in life to make sure we made it a priority, too. It got to the point that we were not good enough for ourselves, if we got distracted from our education path.

It was only last semester that I realized, more than ever, I enjoyed every minute of each lecture and wrote ever word of each paper out of passion, not responsibility. I suppose environmental law and political science courses were responsible for that change, e.g looking at Kyoto, Brownfields Legislation, Bill of Rights and the history of Environmental Movement. While I cherished what I was learning, I couldn't take my mind off LSE, Harvard and York, as a future possibility.

However, now that I am finally finishing my courses, I am not so sure anymore. Next week I have a paper due and a midterm and I feel somewhat overwhelmed, after all these years of schooling!

Do we get to an age that we don't think we can bother with the stress of deadlines, tests and exams anymore?

When is it time to move on to other opportunities that life can bring us?

7 Comments:

At 11:41 a.m., Blogger Jackal said...

In my opinion, academic environment is the best you can find, even if you do it out of a sense of responsibility and not because of your passion. Now that you've grown to the point that you love it, why should you stop?!

Are you sure the feeling of being overwhelmed is for the paper and test (which you've certainly been through quite a few times) or is it since you're aware that your masters programme is soon over and you'd have to decide for what's coming afterwards?

Besides, congratulations for your upcoming new degree [:)] we're all so proud of you [;)]

P.S. on a side issue, it seems that Harper's cabinet selection has been slightly marred by criticism and controversy!

 
At 12:20 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Thanks my friend.

I atill have to defend my project and God knows when that will happen :)

You say academic environment is the best. Best for what?

I could have gone scuba diving many times, for the tution fee that I have paid. What if that money is best spent visiting South Africa?

Going to Harvard, attending LSE or York Schulich could put you in debt for good.

P.s. Regarding Harper's cabinet, that is true. Well, every new government is surrounded by controversies when it comes to the newly elected cabinet.

 
At 12:22 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

BTW, I am still waiting for the lottery results! Who knows!

 
At 6:15 p.m., Blogger Jackal said...

I hope that you win the lottery cuz LSE's tuition fee is a lot more than the cost of an 18 day safari package in south africa (which is not a big deal actually, I reckon about 2 grand). Having said that, once you're snatched by a super major company after your graduation, the safari trip would be peanuts for you (I'm a humble junior engineer but I can comfortably afford that with several months of my saving).

 
At 9:02 a.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

1- a Trip to South Africa costs $4,000 (I checked)

2- Who do you think will hire me with a degree in Environmental Public Policy (i.e. regulations), other than the stingy government!

3- I still think my best bet is lottery!

 
At 10:26 a.m., Blogger Jackal said...

Thanks for confirming the price, 2 grand is 2000 pounds which should be around CA$ 4500 (from UK); Please don't waste your money going for the cheap option, ok?!

I was checking LSE's website and first thing I checked was the professional prospect. BP was mentioned before other employers including national and local authorities.

I believe you can easily find your way into energy providers like BP, Shell or the medium sized canadian Talisman (which I hope someday I can move to). I really admire this company, Talisman. They are very modern, very efficient/swift, very responsible (HSE particularly) and still have brilliantly kept the viciousness of an oil company.

Forget about civil service, as it may become very dull and disappointing both professionally and financially.

UK government ministers, as far as I have seen, work very closely with the industry. It's so close, I sometimes wonder is it the government making the regulations or the industry; which is fair as they're meant for the industry so they need to be negotiated.

Don't you think you'd be at least as effective if you worked on the industry side?

My fingers are crossed for your lottery [;)]

 
At 10:49 a.m., Blogger Jackal said...

I'm still ranting about it, sorry!

How about this:
http://www.dnv.com/consulting/process/index.asp

Perhaps someone who's familiar with policy making (e.g. you) would be more effective in implementing the policies...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home