Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Research Proposal

I was told that I should pick a theme for my blog, perhaps "environmental issues". Although I don't think my audience would be interested in that, I decided to post a summary of my research paper here.

In 2001, Ontario’s government made significant amendments to several key pieces of legislation to reduce regulatory liability and provide financial incentives for developers, who revitalize brownfields. These amendments collectively formed the Ontario Brownfields Statute Law Amendment Act (2001). Despite the potential significant environmental and social impacts, this legislation was never subject to a Strategic Environmental Assessment. The proposed research paper will scope a hypothetical SEA on this piece of legislation, according to Canada’s Cabinet Directive on the Environmental Assessment of Policy and Program Proposals. The paper will also choose suitable environmental and socio-economic indicators required to identify and study the impacts.

The redevelopment of brownfields is expected to increase tax revenues, improve upon the condition of the communities, minimize urban sprawl and the development of greenfields to enhance environmental preservation. However, Ontario’s Brownfield Legislation fails to clearly address civil liability and post-liability-termination claims, introduces controversial qualifications for EA conductors and does not follow federal recommendations for a provincial insurance fund.

The environmental assessment of policy, plan and program proposals, also known as strategic environmental assessment, seeks to incorporate environmental considerations into the development of public policies. As recommended by Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, a policy proposal, such as regulations passed under Ontario’s Brownfields Act would qualify for a SEA.

Ontario’s Brownfields Act is a relatively new and controversial legislation aimed at improving the conditions of industrial communities and province’s economy. However, there are several aspects of this legislation that might require amendment in the future. Conducting a SEA might be a good step toward identifying the required amendments

The paper will identify the relevant environmental and socio-economic indicators and scope the hypothetical SEA. It will also follow UK Environment Agency’s SEA good practice guidelines to establish a clear relationship between SEA and Environmental Site Assessment, all part of different stages of a comprehensive EA.

10 Comments:

At 9:43 a.m., Blogger Jackal said...

BOOORRRRIIIINNNGGGGGG [;)]

 
At 10:42 a.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

I know!

Do you have any specific topic in mind that you would like to discuss?

I was thinking about writing about "female boss vs. male boss" as suggested by Leili and Niloofar.

 
At 11:03 a.m., Blogger Jackal said...

Uhum, that's a good one; also the thing about how women should protect women's rights was very interesting too and is related to female boss v male boos subject (ref to your comment in Yasser's blog). what do you think?

P.S. why do you delet posts? I lose my way around different subjects when you do that. If you don't like to talk about something, simply don't [:)]

 
At 12:04 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

hey,

this is a dictatorship! :)

I delete a post when I think it's bothering me :) ha ha ha

 
At 12:05 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:05 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:14 p.m., Blogger Jackal said...

ok, I got it, you don't have to repeat it 3 times...

 
At 1:16 p.m., Blogger Jackal said...

are you doing anything for 4shanbeh-soori?

 
At 2:01 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

It was repeated by mistake! :)

No 4shanbe soori for me! I only got 4 hours of sleep last night (writing my paper) and I want to take it easy tonight.

I was so sleepy at work that I couldn't tell you what I did or didn't!

 
At 2:20 p.m., Blogger Jackal said...

ok tell me what you didn't [:D]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home