Monday, March 06, 2006

Where my heart is...

March is an exciting month.

I suppose Norouz is not so big here in Canada, but this year the Azuredome Festival will happen. I can't wait to buy the tickets.

The weather seems to be getting better, too. Another indication that "Bahar" is coming :)

I can't wait.

"Sense of Spring" is a classical concert featuring afifty-plus member symphony orchestra. This concert ispart of a three-day cultural festival (Under the AzureDome) to be held at the Toronto Harbourfront Centre.

This is an extraordinary opportunity for classical andPersian music lovers to sample symphonic music bythree eminent Iranian and Azeri composers. The concertfeatures prominent Canadian musicians engaged inperforming unique symphonic works - led by acclaimedconductor Mehdi Javanfar.

The Programme Features:
The Legend of My Fatherland by Kurd composer ArsalaanKamkar, a symphonic suite in three movements, based onfolk and original Kurdish music by the orchestra.
Symphony No. 5 by Shaahin Farhat, the Iraniansymphonist, features a well-known melody by DarvishKhan.
Azerbaijan Capricio by Azeri composer, Fikret Amirov,is a spectacular work for a large symphony orchestra.Amirov is well-known among Azeris and Iranians, buthis melodies resonate globally.
The Blood of Seyavash, originally commissioned by theNashville Ballet, it is the third piece in the PersianTrilogy. It is a cycle of three orchestral workscomposed by Behzad Ranjbaran. The trilogy was inspiredby legends from "Shahnameh" from The Book of Kings,the great Persian poetry epic written by the Persianpoet, Ferdowsi (c. 940-1020).

Some of these works will employ Iranian traditionalinstruments such as the santoor, kamaancheh and daf.

7 Comments:

At 10:02 a.m., Blogger Jackal said...

Would you - too - have to pay for the tickets? I mean as one of the organizers!

I couldn't see the boozing and partying in the list of the event. I suppose they were delibaretly not mentioned to keep drunken & disorderly people out of the festival [;)]

 
At 10:22 a.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

most of the events are free for public except for a couple of evening performances. and yes everyone pays.

They have kindly kept my name as one of the organizers but I really didn't help much because I was busy with my courses.

There is no drinking :)at least not this year :)

 
At 10:34 a.m., Blogger Jackal said...

Ah I see, the celebrity effect!

So, paste photos of of the festival in your blog please [:)]

 
At 12:20 p.m., Blogger Farid said...

lol,
I liked the idea of "Bahar" is coming....
Such a pitty, I will not be able to come to the events :(

 
At 1:04 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

what? you got a better place to be? L.A? Florida? Paris?

 
At 1:19 p.m., Blogger Farid said...

I am going HOME for eid!!! :D

 
At 3:53 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Home is ok! At least you get to see your parents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home