Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Search (5): Learn the Language

As it turns out, yours truly has a linguistics problem.

After a few years of dating, now I know "see ya" means "don't want to see you" and "I'll call you" means "don't call me". Also, apparently "I am with a friend" means "I am cheating on you, idiot" and "I want to see you for a few minutes" means ..., oh well.

But I am still wondering what "I want to take it slow" really means!

a) I haven't broken up with my ex-gf
b) I am not sure if you are cute enough
c) I don't really like you, but what the hell, no one else is in sight
d) I don't want a second date
e) I have much better options (hopefully women)
f) I don't want to lie to you, so don't ask

I called M.T to tell him that our date really sucked! However, I wanted to be gentle. So, I started by saying that I would like to have a chance to sit down with you rather than watch a stupid movie. His response was that "I had a great time, too. But I really want to take this slow".

What the hell? Take what slow? The damn movie? Did he think by "sit down with you" I meant "move in with you"? Didn't he ask me to go to his place last time? Shouldn't I be asking for a little "slow down"?

For my intelligent readers, do you have any idea what that phrase really means?

Help me out, here!

4 Comments:

At 3:48 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leili: I say he is afraid you may want to have long discussions about relationship, and he feels he is not there yet.

It looks you are not there either. So instead worrying whether it's gonna work or not, just let it be. Look at at as sun time and wait to see if there is more there. But I'm not sure I would break up yet.

 
At 2:11 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with leili,don't try to think! try to feel! some times every thing seems wrong but you feel good! if you feel good being with him ,then enjoy the moment!and if you don't feel good then stop it.my experience in life is that it is all about love not mind!I knew a lot of people who married the guy who had the worse character they could ever imagine! but they just love theme! and telling you the truth they are happy!

 
At 3:13 p.m., Blogger ninepounddictator said...

Oh my god. You really have to make a book out of this...I feel like I'm rooting for you here!!

If a guy said to me, "Let's take it slow," I'd never ever call him again....What it means is, "I'm not sure I want to be in a relationship with you."

Sorry! or I'm not sorry. You so derve better! You deserve someone who calls you the next day and says, "I really had a great time and want to see you again. How's tomorrow?"

I agree that you shouldn't think too much, but still. I mean, really. I don't like this guy. Move on.

Also, I used to have an advice column, so I'm a professional. ha ha..

I will allow you to continue dating him, if you want (By why? if the date sucked?) you can do better. You know this!!

 
At 3:21 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Thanks Ladies.

1- I know that I am usually very enthusiastic when it comes to dating, so I guess I come off too strong.

2- I don't this guy cares for me too much. I know I should probably move on.

3- I figured he could be a pet project for my "book"!!! How do you like that Rebecca? :-)

4- Where am I going to find a guy that respects me? I haven't had too much luck with that!

5- Perhaps I should take a break, (or a celibacy vow) for a whiiiile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home