Monday, May 15, 2006

Girl in Trouble (SMS)

On June 3rd, I am participating in the final round of the City Idol competition and that means if I win the debate, I have to register as a City Council Candidate. Boy oh boy! That sounds pretty serious!

To me, that means raising funds, going to tens of community meetings, printing written material, do lots of interviews and a lot of paper work. Well, so far it is not too painful. Although, did I mention the part that I am supposed to say great things about myself and make impossible promises every where? errr... I am not a politician, a saint or a miracle-worker.

During the past year, I dreaded every hour of being a graduate student, while working full-time. The courses were great, but making the time to attend class, finishing papers in time and writing exams was very difficult, not mentioning the times that I had to escape the office and find some awful excuse for my absence! I kept telling myself that once this is all done, I will take the time to live like a normal person, working like a good civil servant, sleeping enough, dating guys, going out with friends, reading the books I have bought and enjoying life to the fullset. (and the fact that I could work out to lose 10-20 lbs that I have recently gained...)

I called Karen (HR Advisor) this morning to inquire about my new position starting this fall (20th Sep 2006). She thought I would love to hear that I will be transferred to a district office! "Just like you wanted: some real hands-on experience" she said!!!

District office? Burlington? I will have to switch buses and trains to get there?

So, now, hear me out. How can I run a campaign in Toronto, while I work in Burlington?

I have to write my P.Eng exams this August which requires at least a month of studying (it took daddy 6 months), finish my M.Eng dissertation this fall (ok, winter 2007) and run a campaign for November 13 ? Is it painful enough yet?

I told Karen that perhaps if there is any possibility, I would prefer the Drinking Water Branch (right here) to Burlington district office. Well, like last year when I was trying to convince professors to offer evening lectures (for their favorite ass-kissing student who has a full-time job!), this means living in agony, trying to plead to people's sense of compassion, until they decide on my fate!

But seriously, Burlington? God bless, does anyone else feel my pain here? I am allowed to cry, you know!

Working out the whole problem backwards (like I used to solve trigonometry questions in grade 9) there seems to be one and only one solution:

I have to lose the debate on June 3rd.

I suppose I can still work on my dissertation on the weekends at the library, I can easily write my P.Eng exams and have the time to help on Ignatieff's campaign, if I am not a City Candidate. This is a win-win-win-win situation. Plus, I get to keep my current job at the Ministry, even if it is in Burlington (or on the moon).

Objections? Suggestions? Sympathies?

4 Comments:

At 4:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are so inclined to actually post that you need to lose the debate in June then I would suggest to cut your ties now.

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. You feel great that you made it to the second round but given a reevaluation of your time commitments, it is not possible to continue at this time and that you are withdrawing.

 
At 5:24 p.m., Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Inquisitor has a point, but I think that you're looking to be talked out of your fear. If this is something that intrigues you, challenges you, then go for it.

If you'll regret NOT doing it, even in a small way, you must do it.

Live large.

 
At 8:40 p.m., Blogger Laural Dawn said...

Love your blog!
Burlington isn't so bad. You'll find the GO train commute much nicer than TTC. I did it for months. But, I hear your pain ... it's a long way!

 
At 5:56 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I guess you should sort out your priorities! Do you really need to do all these at once?! Maybe P.Eng can wait...
But overall I think it's best not to overwhelm yourself... Promise you, there is great jot in taking life easy! ;)

P.S. I'm in Italy now, and it's great.. Can’t wait to see you when I'm back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home