Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Thinking of Ramin Jahanbegloo

Ramin was more than a mentor to me and to a lot of people, not just in Toronto, but in Paris, in Tehran and in Boston. Ramin was more than just a professor. He was a friend who invited us to his home and to his heart. Ramin is a great philosopher, thinker and author.

Sitting here thinking that he has been arrested by a regime that has no qualms torturing people in the most despicable manners, makes me feel numb. I feel cold and I feel weak.

He is one the very few that I know who returned to Iran, in hopes of making a difference. He is one the very few who did make a difference. I try to remember his face and all comes to my mind is his big smile.

I am not religious, so I am not even sure how to pray. I just realized that I hadn't cried in a long time.

2 Comments:

At 3:59 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very unfortunate that a scholar of that magnitude has been arrested, but it is public knowledge that Iran is the most hostile land for any sort of intellectual activity. The political and unfortunately social climate is now more that ever exhibits enmity towards the intellectual community. He should not have returned to the country in the first place. Iran is a dangerous land that is run by the rule of insanity and inhabited by people with mob mentality. Iran is a classic case of Nietzsche’s famous quote: "Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." I feel apathetical or perhaps antipathical for the country itself, but this is a different case.
I call for demonstration outside of Iranian Embassy and Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa.

 
At 12:37 p.m., Blogger Hepzibah The Watchman said...

You don't need a prescription or agenda for prayer, and you certainly do not need religion to pray. Prayer is just communication with God. Just talk to him as if you were talking to a friend. If you haven't met with him in while, then talk to him as you would an aquaintance. If you have never met him; then speak as to a stranger. It does not matter. Just speak to him and ask for his protection over your friend. I will, as well. May God bless you and your friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home