Friday, December 08, 2006

More on my identity issues!

What should my answer be, when someone asks: "are you muslim?"?

Facts:
- I was born a muslim
- I went to an Islamic school in an Islamic country
- I can read Qoran and translate it.
- do I believe in God? probably. I belive in the spirit of the world, the soul of goodness.
- do I believe in heaven and hell? No.
- do I believe prophet Mohammad existed? yeah, maybe. I have no beef with him.
- do I believe in all the religious stories and miracles: Adam and Eve, Immaculate Conception, David, etc? No, absolutely not! I believe in evolution and science.
- do I practice Islam: read prayers, fast, etc? No
- do I avoide sins such as drinking, eating pork or sex? No absolutely not!
- do I like religion? No!
- do I celebrate religious "eid"? No, I celebrate Norouz and Yalda because they celebrate nature.
- do I think religion protects women and human rights? No, absolutely the opposite.
- do I think religion makes the world a better place? No, that is some "holy crap"!
- how do I feel about muslims around me with long beard who go to mosque every day and talk about getting rid of the evil in the world? I dislike them very much!

so, what am I? When they talk about Muslim Canadians, am I included?

Are you amuslim if you believe in the religion? Or just because you grand parents were muslim you get it by default? (like some distorted gene!)

I have nothing against people who are muslim, as long as they don't take away other people's rights and freedoms. but how should I answer the question "are you muslim?"?

Help. Please!

7 Comments:

At 12:00 p.m., Blogger LT said...

say NO.
No to being a Muslim,
No to being religious at all,
No to ALL the lies!

and YES to a new world based on 'truth', 'honesty', 'kindness' and 'freedom'. A world run by 'reason' and 'intellect'.

 
At 12:18 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

But then the question becomes:

Aren't you from Iran? Your last name is muslim.

Then I say: I was born muslim but I do not practice.

They say: ok. so you are muslim!

 
At 12:19 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

sometimes when you say "I am not muslim" then it is understood that you are an athiest.

Here is the deal: I am not an athiest, either!

I think religion is some out-dated fashion.

Can't we just write it off as "out-dated" and be done with it?

 
At 1:19 p.m., Blogger LT said...

hehe
It's funny to call religion out-dated! hmmm...m not fashionable?! ;-)

but in fact, I think religion's basis is in our insecurities, unreal fears and personality disorders. Once we take care of those, religion has no place in our life.

Who says we are born Muslims? That was a lie that the sick traditions and wicked regimes of Iran wanted us to believe in order to control and suppress us.

You can say you are Nonreligious, but Agnostic honey, which means that you believe in GOD:
http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

p.s. I don't know if I believe in GOD. Maybe I am an atheist. Have you read "Future of An Illusion" by Sigmund Freud?

 
At 1:51 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Thanx Miss Leili.

You are very knowledgable! I am gonna check out that book.

BTW, I just bought "The Plan" by Emanuel. check it out.

 
At 2:20 p.m., Blogger LT said...

will do.
thanks dear.

 
At 3:30 p.m., Blogger The City Gal said...

Jackal,

I miss your lordship!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home